Ictal central apnea (ICA) is a frequent, self-limiting semiological feature of focal epilepsy, often starting before surface electroencephalogram (EEG) onset, according to a recent study, and may be the only clinical manifestation of focal seizures. However, prolonged ICA (≥60 s) is associated with severe hypoxemia and may be a potential sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP) biomarker. Researchers prospectively studied polygraphic physiological responses, including inductance plethysmography, peripheral capillary oxygen saturation (SpO2), electrocardiography, and video electroencephalography (VEEG) in 473 patients in a multicenter study of SUDEP. They found:
- Complete datasets were available in 126 patients in 312 seizures.
- ICA occurred exclusively in focal epilepsy (51/109 patients [47%] and 103/312 seizures [36.5%]).
- ICA was the only clinical manifestation in 16/103 (16.5%) seizures, and preceded EEG seizure onset by 8 ± 4.9 s, in 56/103 (54.3%) seizures.
- ICA ≥60 s was associated with severe hypoxemia (SpO2 <75%).
- Temporal lobe epilepsy was highly associated with ICA in comparison to extratemporal epilepsy and frontal lobe epilepsy.
- Isolated postictal central apnea was not seen; in 3/103 seizures (3%), ICA persisted into the postictal period.
Lacuey N, Zonjy B, Hampson JP, et al. The incidence and significance of periictal apnea in epileptic seizures. [Published online ahead of print January 16, 2018]. Epilepsia. doi:10.1111/epi.14006.
This Week's Must Reads
Sex Differences Evident in Cognitive Decline in PD, Parkinsonism Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Feb 9; Cholerton, et al
IBD Associated with Lower Risk of Developing PD, Parkinsonism Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Feb 9; Camacho-Soto, et al
Dysgeusia, Side Effect of DBS, Can Be Reduced, J Clin Neurosci; ePub 2018 Feb 2; Carlson, et al
Leg Stereotypy Syndrome Common in Healthy Adults, J Neuro Neurosurg Psychiatry; ePub 2018 Jan 13; Lotia, et al
Adductor Focal Laryngeal Dystonia Impacts QOL, J Clin Mov Disord; ePub 2017 Dec 13; Stewart, et al
Must Reads in Epilepsy & Seizures
Incidence of Periictal Apnea in Epileptic Seizures, Epilepsia; ePub 2018 Jan 16; Lacuey, Zonjy, et al
Epilepsy Seizure Rate and Education Level Linked, Epilepsy Behav; ePub 2017 Dec 24; Kumar, et al
FDA Approves Oral Option for Pediatric Epilepsy, UCB news release; 2017 Nov 6
Psychogenic, Non-Epileptic Seizure Screening Aids, Epilepsia; ePub 2017 Sep 12; Kerr, Janio, et al
FDA Approves Antiepileptic Drug for Age 4 and Older, Sunovion news release; 2017 Sep 14