Ictal central apnea (ICA) is a frequent, self-limiting semiological feature of focal epilepsy, often starting before surface electroencephalogram (EEG) onset, according to a recent study, and may be the only clinical manifestation of focal seizures. However, prolonged ICA (≥60 s) is associated with severe hypoxemia and may be a potential sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP) biomarker. Researchers prospectively studied polygraphic physiological responses, including inductance plethysmography, peripheral capillary oxygen saturation (SpO2), electrocardiography, and video electroencephalography (VEEG) in 473 patients in a multicenter study of SUDEP. They found:
- Complete datasets were available in 126 patients in 312 seizures.
- ICA occurred exclusively in focal epilepsy (51/109 patients [47%] and 103/312 seizures [36.5%]).
- ICA was the only clinical manifestation in 16/103 (16.5%) seizures, and preceded EEG seizure onset by 8 ± 4.9 s, in 56/103 (54.3%) seizures.
- ICA ≥60 s was associated with severe hypoxemia (SpO2 <75%).
- Temporal lobe epilepsy was highly associated with ICA in comparison to extratemporal epilepsy and frontal lobe epilepsy.
- Isolated postictal central apnea was not seen; in 3/103 seizures (3%), ICA persisted into the postictal period.
Lacuey N, Zonjy B, Hampson JP, et al. The incidence and significance of periictal apnea in epileptic seizures. [Published online ahead of print January 16, 2018]. Epilepsia. doi:10.1111/epi.14006.
This Week's Must Reads
Stroke Care Comparison of Asian Americans and Whites, JAMA Neurology; ePub 2019 Jan 22; Song, Liang, et al
Aerobic Exercise Can Improve Executive Functioning , Neurology; 2019 Jan 15; Blumenthal, et al
Episodic Memory Decline is Neurodegenerative Marker, Neurology; ePub 2019 Jan 23; Wilson, Yang, et al
Serum Troponin Level Marker for Visceral Infarcts , J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis; ePub 2019 Jan 18; Azher, et al
Urine Sodium-to-Potassium Ratio Predicts Stroke, Stroke; ePub 2019 Jan 21; Averill, Young, et al
Must Reads in Epilepsy & Seizures
Hospital Readmission After Seizure Discharge, Neurology; ePub 2018 Dec 21; Blank, et al
Information About SUDEP on YouTube Analyzed, Epilepsy Behav; ePub 2018 Dec 7; Rayi, et al
Unplanned Pregnancy, Fetal Loss, and Epilepsy, JAMA Neurology; ePub 2018 Oct 15; Herzog, et al
Probable OSA Common in Refractory Epilepsy, Epilepsia; ePub 2018 Sep 24; McCarter, et al
Circadian, Circaseptan Rhythms in Epilepsy Examined, Lancet Neurol; ePub 2018 Sep 12; Karoly, et al