Thyroid hormone treatment led to decreased risk of pregnancy loss in women with subclinical hypothyroidism in a retrospective cohort study involving more than 5,400 pregnant women.
Participants had subclinical hypothyroidism, some with average thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) concentration of 4.8 mIU/L who were treated with thyroid hormone (n=843), and others with average TSH concentration of 3.3 mIU/L who were not treated (n=4,562). Investigators looked at pregnancy loss and other maternal and fetal adverse outcomes. Among the results:
- Pregnancy loss occurred in 11% of treated women, vs 15% in those untreated, a significant difference.
- Untreated women were 38% less likely to experience pregnancy loss.
- They were 60% more likely to have a preterm delivery, 37% more likely to develop gestational diabetes, and 61% more likely to experience pre-eclampsia.
- Untreated women with pre-treatment THS levels of 4.1 to 10 mIU/L were 55% less likely to experience pregnancy loss, compared with treated women.
- This was not seen when pre-treatment TSH levels were 2.5 to 4.0 mIU/L in untreated women.
Maraka S, Mwangi R, McCoy R, et al. Thyroid hormone treatment among pregnant women with subclinical hypothyroidism: US national assessment. [Published online ahead of print January 25, 2017]. BMJ. doi:10.1136/bmj.i6865.
This Week's Must Reads
Daily Steps Activity Linked with Weight Loss, Obesity; ePub 2018 Apr 6; Creasy, Lang, et al
Influence of Diabetes on Cardiovascular Events, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Apr 4; Newman, et al
T2D, Renal Cell Carcinoma Risk Linked in Women, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Apr 20; Graff, et al
A1C and Foot Ulcer Healing: No Meaningful Link, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 April 6; Fesseha, et al
Diabetes Management and Decline in Depression, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Mar 27; Oh, Ell
Must Reads in Reproductive Endocrinology
This Can Quickly Assess Fertility Knowledge, Fertil Steril; ePub 2017 Sep 11; Kudesia, et al
Impact of Oral Contraceptives, Weight Loss on HDL, LDL, Clin Endocrinol; ePub 2017 Mar 9; Dokras, et al
Progesterone After Ovulation Induction and Insemination, Fertil Steril; ePub 2017 Feb 24; Green, et al
Sex Steroid Hormones and Fracture Risk in Older Women, J Clin Endocrinol Metab; ePub 2017 Jan 25; Cauley, et al
Thyroid Hormone Treatment’s Impact on Pregnancy Loss , BMJ; ePub 2017 Jan 25; Maraka, Mwangi, et al