Endocrinologists as a group need to be more confident and competent when it comes to the health needs of the transgender population, according to results of a survey involving 465 program directors and practicing clinicians.
An online survey was sent to 104 endocrinology fellowship program directors and nearly 7,000 members of Endocrine Society. Among the results:
- Half of the program directors responded; 6% of society members did so.
- Nearly three-fourths of programs offer teaching on transgender health topics; but 94% noted the importance of fellowship training in this area.
- Lack of faculty interest or experience was a barrier to offering such training.
- Program directors asked for online training modules for trainees and faculty.
- 8 in every 10 clinicians have treated a transgender patient, but just as many said they have received no training in this area.
- Clinicians expressed low confidence outside of the hormonal realm.
- Clinicians asked for online training modules and transgender topics at meetings.
Davidge-Pitts C, Nippoldt T, Danoff A, Radziejewski L, Natt N. Transgender health in endocrinology: Current status of endocrinology fellowship programs and practicing clinicians. [Published online ahead of print January 10, 2017]. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. doi:10.1210/jc.2016-3007.
This Week's Must Reads
MetS Severity Z Score Helps Track T2D Treatment , Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Oct 1; DeBoer, et al
Are T1D and Hearing Impairment Associated? , Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Sep 25; Schade, et al
Look AHEAD Lifestyle Intervention Proves Effective, Obesity; 2018 Oct; Krukowski, Hare, et al
FDA Approves Xyosted for Testosterone Replacement, Antares Pharma news release; 2018 Oct 1
Glycemic Control, Dementia Risk in Type 1 Diabetes, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Sep 4; Lacy, Gilsanz, et al
Must Reads in Practice Management
Perceived Barriers to Effective Obesity Care, Obesity; ePub 2017 Oct 31; Kaplan, Golden, et al
Insulin Dose Changes by PCPs and Endocrinologists, Clinical Diabetes; ePub 2017 Aug 23; Davidson, et al
Addressing Health Needs of the Transgender Population , J Clin Endocrinol Metab; 2017 Jan 10; Davidge-Pitts, et al
Are Routine Glucometry Readings Necessary? , JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2016 Sep 26; Wofford, et al