Obesity appears to be perceived as a disease, yet it is often not treated as such, researchers concluded after analyzing the results of a survey involving nearly 3,800 individuals. Participants included obese individuals (n=3,008), health practitioners (n=606), and employers (n=153) who completed cross-sectional surveys. Among the results:
- <One-fourth of obese individuals said they lost 10% of their weight in the prior 3 years.
- ~Two-thirds said they realized obesity is a disease; 54% worried about their future health.
- 8 in every 10 felt the responsibility to lose weight was their total responsibility.
- 72% of practitioners said they were responsible to contribute to weight loss efforts.
- Just 2 in every 10 employers felt even partially responsible.
- Clinicians said they were comfortable having weight-related conversations, but often did not have sufficient time for them.
- ~One-fourth of obese individuals had a scheduled follow-up to initial weight-related conversations.
- Only 17% found employer wellness programs helpful.
Kaplan L, Golden A, Jinnett K, et al. Perceptions of barriers to effective obesity care: Results from the National ACTION Study. [Published online ahead of print October 31, 2017]. Obesity. doi:10.1002/oby.22054.
This Week's Must Reads
ATA Sonographic Patterns Stratify Cancer Risk , Thyroid; ePub 2018 Jul 17; Valderrabano, et al
Markers of Bone Turnover, Diabetes Examined, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Jul 12; Massera, et al
Do Incretin-Based Therapies Raise Retinopathy Risk?, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Jul 16; Wang, Hong, et al
In utero Smoke Exposure and Cardiometabolic Risks, Ann Epidemiol; ePub 2018 Jul 3; Stevens, et al
Guideline on Postoperative Hypoparathyroidism, Thyroid; ePub 2018 Jun 29; Orloff, Wiseman, et al
Must Reads in Obesity
Racial Differences in Loss of Skeletal Muscle Mass, Obesity; ePub 2018 Jun 29; Hunter, Bryan, et al
Weight and Shape Concern Impacts Weight Control, Obesity; ePub 2018 Jun 28; Olson, Neiberg, et al
Weight Loss Associated with Reduced Diabetes Risk, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Jun 18; Jiang, Johnson, et al
Obesity, Hypertension, and Telomere Length Loss, Metab Syndr Relat Disord; ePub 2018 May 11; Wojcicki, et al
Body Composition 5 Years Post-Bariatric Surgery , Obesity; ePub 2018 May 30; Davidson, Yu, et al