Increasing adiposity appears to play a role in an imbalance of pro- and anti-inflammatory adipokines over time in Mexican-Americans, according to a study involving >1,200 individuals. Additionally, leptins were shown to be an important mediator of metabolic disease risk. Investigators looked at the link between 3 adiposity measures and 16 adipokines in Mexican-American participants. Among the results:
- Longitudinal increases in adiposity were most strongly linked with increasing leptin, C-reactive protein (CRP), and interleukin 1 receptor antagonist (IL-1Ra).
- It was also linked with decreasing adiponectin and secreted frizzled protein 5 (SFRP5).
- Patients with BMI ≥30 at baseline had larger increases in leptin, CRP, IL-1Ra, and interleukin 6 (IL-6).
- They also had larger decreases in adiponectin and SFRP5.
- The observed increases and decreases in patients with higher BMI were linked with increasing adiposity during follow-up when compared to those with lower BMI.
- The links between adiposity and remaining adipokines were substantially reduced when adjustments were made for leptin.
Black M, Shu Y, Wu J, et al. Longitudinal increases in adiposity contribute to worsening adipokine profile over time in Mexican Americans. [Published online ahead of print February 10, 2018]. Obesity. doi:10.1002/oby.22128.
This Week's Must Reads
Diabetes Costs Likely to Increase Greatly by 2030 , Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Feb 23; Bommer, et al
Dietary Fiber, CRP & Physical Activity Evaluated , Metab Syndr Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Jan 29; Richardson, et al
Bisphosphonate Drug Holidays and Fracture Risk, Endocr Pract; 2018 Feb; Bindon, Adams, et al
FDA Approves New Guardian Sensor 3 Arm Indication , Medtronic news release; 2018 Feb 26
How Effective is NDDP in Low-Income Whites? , Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Feb 21; Ritchie, et al
Must Reads in Obesity
Childhood BMI-Adult Diabetes Link Evaluated , Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Feb 26; Geng, et al
Consuming Whole Foods May Trump Counting Calories , JAMA; 2018 Feb 20; Gardner, Trepanowski, et al
Maintaining This in Childhood May Help cIMT , Metab Syndr Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Feb 7; Gooty, et al
Adiposity’s Impact in Mexican-Americans Studied , Obesity; ePub 2018 Feb 10; Black, Shu, Wu, et al
What Impacts Children’s Attempts to Lose Weight? , Obesity; ePub 2018 Feb 1; Ling, Stommel, et al