Clinical Edge

Summaries of Must-Read Clinical Literature, Guidelines, and FDA Actions

BP Treatment Assessed Among Persons with Diabetes

Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Aug 27; Muntner, et al

A high percentage of US adults with diabetes are provided identical antihypertensive treatment recommendations by the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association (ACC/AHA) blood pressure (BP) guideline and the American Diabetes Association (ADA) diabetes and hypertension position statement, a recent study found. Researchers analyzed data for adults with diabetes in the US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), 2011–2016 (n=2,266). Diabetes was defined by treatment with glucose-lowering medication, glycosylated hemoglobin ≥6.5%, fasting serum glucose ≥126 mg/dL, or nonfasting serum glucose ≥200 mg/dL. BP was measured 3 times and antihypertensive medication use was self-reported. They found:

  • The prevalence of hypertension among adults with diabetes was 77.1% (73.9, 80.0) and 66.3% (63.4, 69.1) according to the ACC/AHA and ADA definitions, respectively.
  • Also, 22.9% (20.0, 26.1) did not have hypertension according to either definition, and the concordance in hypertension status was 89.2% (87.2, 91.0).
  • Among adults with diabetes not taking antihypertensive medication, 52.8% (47.7, 57.8) were not recommended to initiate antihypertensive medication by either the ACC/AHA or the ADA document and 22.4% (19.2, 25.9) were recommended to initiate it by both documents (overall concordance 75.2% [70.4, 79.4]).
Citation:

Muntner P, Whelton PK, Woodward M, Carey RM. A comparison of the 2017 American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association blood pressure guideline and the 2017 American Diabetes Association diabetes and hypertension position statement for US adults with diabetes. [Published online ahead of print August 27, 2018]. Diabetes Care. doi:10.2337/dc18-1307.

This Week's Must Reads

Anthropometric Measures as Diabetes Risk Factors, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Oct 23; Luo, Hendryx, et al

Comorbid Autoimmune Disease and Type 1 Diabetes, J Diabetes; ePub 2018 Sep 18; Bao, Weide, et al

QOL Assessed in Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes, Diabetes Educ; ePub 2018 Oct 20; Kent, Quinn

Male Characteristics and Semen Parameters on IVF, Fertil Steril; 2018 Oct; Capelouto, Nagy, et al

Racial/Ethnic Differences in Glycemic Control in T1D, JAMA; ePub 2018 Sep 7; Kahkoska, Shay, et al

Must Reads in Diabetes

Anthropometric Measures as Diabetes Risk Factors, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Oct 23; Luo, Hendryx, et al

Comorbid Autoimmune Disease and Type 1 Diabetes, J Diabetes; ePub 2018 Sep 18; Bao, Weide, et al

QOL Assessed in Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes, Diabetes Educ; ePub 2018 Oct 20; Kent, Quinn

Racial/Ethnic Differences in Glycemic Control in T1D, JAMA; ePub 2018 Sep 7; Kahkoska, Shay, et al

Youth Fasting Glucose and Midlife Cognitive Function, Diabetes Care; 2018 Oct; Bancks, Carnethon, et al