Advances in HIV prevention and treatment with antiretroviral drugs continue to improve clinical management and outcomes for individuals at risk for and living with HIV, according to updated recommendations of the International Antiviral Society‒USA Panel. Researchers evaluated new data and treatments and established updated recommendations for initiating therapy, monitoring those starting therapy, changing regiments, and preventing HIV infection for individuals at risk. Among the findings:
- Antiretroviral therapy (ART) is recommended for virtually all HIV-infected individuals, as soon as possible after HIV diagnosis.
- Immediate initiation, if clinically appropriate, requires adequate staffing, specialized services, and careful selection of medical therapy.
- An integrase strand transfer inhibitor (InSTI) plus 2 nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs) is generally recommended for initial therapy.
- CD4 cell count, HIV RNA level, genotype, and other laboratory tests for general health and coinfections are recommended at specified points before and during ART.
- Preexposure prophylaxis with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate/emtricitabine and appropriate monitoring is recommended for individuals at risk for HIV.
Saag MS, Benson CA, Gandhi RT, et al. Antiretroviral drugs for treatment and prevention of HIV infection in adults. 2018 recommendations of the International Antiviral Society–USA Panel. JAMA. 2018;320(4):379–396. doi:10.1001/jama.2018.8431.
This Week's Must Reads
Do Vitamin D Supplements Prevent Cancer, CVD?, N Engl J Med; 2019 Jan 3; Manson, Cook, et al
Nonadherence to Cancer Screenings & Related Mortality, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2018 Dec 28; Pierre-Victor, et al
Alcohol Consumption After Development of HF, JAMA Netw Open; ePub 2018 Dec 28; Sadhu, et al
Opioid-Involved Overdose Deaths in the US, MMWR; 2019 Jan 4; Scholl, Seth, et al
Assessing the Diet Quality of US Children, Am J Clin Nutrit; ePub 2018 Dec 29; Thomson, et al
Must Reads in Clinical Guidelines
USPSTF: Interventions to Prevent Child Maltreatment, JAMA; 2018 Nov 27; US Preventive Services Task Force
Cholesterol Guidelines Stress Lifetime Approach, Circulation; ePub 2018 Nov 10; Grundy, et al
USPSTF: Screen Adults for Unhealthy Alcohol Use, JAMA; 2018 Nov 13; Curry, et al
Screening for Syphilis Infection in Pregnant Women, JAMA; 2018 Sep 4; US Preventive Services Task Force
Treatment Intensification Guidelines for T2D , Ann Intern Med; ePub 2018 Sep 4; Roglic, et al