Among patients with prior myocardial infarction (MI) in the US, elevated high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) is prevalent several years after the MI, a recent study found. The study included. Researchers sought to determine the pattern and determinants of the distribution of hs-CRP in adults with hs-CRP from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys from 1999-2010. They found:
- 1,296 individuals were included (median age 65 years, median hs-CRP 2.69 mg/L, measured an average of 7.1 years after the MI).
- Among these patients, 22% had hs-CRP levels of <1 mg/L, 61% had ≥2 mg/L, and 48% had ≥3 mg/L.
- Increasing hs-CRP was associated with increasing body mass index (BMI), increasing non-high-density lipoprotein (HDL), increasing age, and decreasing HDL.
- Adjusted mean hs-CRP was also higher in women, in those with hypertension, and among smokers, and lower in people with hyperlipidemia.
- Standard CV risk factors accounted for only 22% of the variability in hs-CRP levels.
Pagidipati NJ, Hellkamp AS, Sharma PP, Wang TY, Fonarow GC, Pencina M. High-sensitivity C-reactive protein elevation in patients with prior myocardial infarction in the United States. [Published online ahead of print July 26, 2018]. Am Heart J. doi:10.1016/j.ahj.2018.07.014.
This Week's Must Reads
Clinician Beliefs on Statins & Patient Adherence, Am J Cardiol; ePub 2019 Jan 4; Lowenstern, et al
Adherence to Statin Therapy in US Adults, J Am Heart Assoc; ePub 2019 Jan 8; Colantonio, et al
Efficacy of Statins for Primary Prevention of CVD, Am Heart J; ePub 2019 Jan 10; Yebyo, et al
Prevalence of FH in Patients with Premature MI, Clin Cardiol; ePub 2019 Jan 13; Cui, Li, et al
Lp(a) Levels & CVD Risk in Patients with Diabetes, Atherosclerosis; ePub 2018 Dec 29; Saeed, et al
Must Reads in CAD & Atherosclerosis
Myocardial Infarction Incidence in Patients with PAD, JAMA Cardiol; ePub 2018 Dec 12; Olivier, et al
Healthy Lifestyle During Midlife & Subclinical Atherosclerosis, J Am Heart Assoc; ePub 2018 Nov 28; Wang, et al
Sedentary Lifestyle and Increased CVD Risk , Am J Cardiol; ePub 2018 Dec 3; Mainous III, et al
CAD Severity as a Function of Patient Sex, Am Heart J; ePub 2018 Oct 2; Pagidipati, et al
Does Aspirin Prevent CV Events in Older Adults?, N Engl J Med; ePub 2018 Sep 16; McNeil, et al