The presence of structural heart disease (SHD) during catheter ablation (CA) for ventricular arrhythmias (VA) increased the complication rate of major and any complications by approximately 3-fold for both and the hospital mortality by ≥20-fold compared to patients without SHD. This according to a recent study that compared trends, morbidity, and mortality associated with real-world practice of CA for VA based on the presence of SHD. Researchers collected and compared characteristics and outcomes of patients with and without SHD that underwent CA of VA. They found:
- Among 34,907 patients that underwent CA for VA (1999-2013), 18,014 (51.6%) had SHD.
- Major and all complications occurred among 1,135/18,014 (6.3%) and 2,139/18,014 (11.9%) patients with SHD, respectively, compared to 355/16,893 (2.1%) and 739/16,892 (4.4%) for patients without SHD.
- More patients with SHD died vs those without SHD.
- Heart failure was associated with an odds ratio of 3.09 for major complications for patients with SHD, while coronary artery disease OR for major complications was 2.47.
- The 15-year study period was a significant increase in major complications in patients with SHD.
Ogunbayo GO, Charnigo R, Darrat Y, et al. Comparison of complications of catheter ablation for ventricular arrhythmias in adults with and without structural heart disease. [Published online ahead of print July 18, 2018]. Am J Cardiol. doi:10.1016/j.amjcard.2018.07.001.
This Week's Must Reads
Clinician Beliefs on Statins & Patient Adherence, Am J Cardiol; ePub 2019 Jan 4; Lowenstern, et al
Adherence to Statin Therapy in US Adults, J Am Heart Assoc; ePub 2019 Jan 8; Colantonio, et al
Efficacy of Statins for Primary Prevention of CVD, Am Heart J; ePub 2019 Jan 10; Yebyo, et al
Prevalence of FH in Patients with Premature MI, Clin Cardiol; ePub 2019 Jan 13; Cui, Li, et al
Lp(a) Levels & CVD Risk in Patients with Diabetes, Atherosclerosis; ePub 2018 Dec 29; Saeed, et al
Must Reads in Arrhythmias & EP
Depressive Symptoms and Risk of Incident AF, J Am Heart Assoc; ePub 2018 Dec 19; Garg, et al
Anticoagulation in Patients with AF and HF, Clin Cardiol; ePub 2018 Dec 23; Contreras, et al
Catheter Ablation for AF in Adults with CHD, Heart Rhythm; ePub 2018 Dec 26; Liang, et al
Calcium & Vitamin D and Incidence of AF in Women, Am Heart J; ePub 2018 Dec 13; Boursiquot, et al
Early Postoperative VAs After CHD Surgery, Heart Rhythm; ePub 2018 Dec 4; Fuchs, et al