Insurance status and certain sociodemographic variables are linked with breast cancer mortality, according to a study involving more than 52,000 individuals.
Participants were diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007 and 2008. Investigators looked at how insurance status and sociodemographic factors impacted mortality. Among the results:
- Women who received Medicaid or were uninsured were more than twice as likely to be diagnosed at a later stage, vs those with commercial insurance.
- Blacks were 18% more likely than whites to experience such.
- Unmarried women were 25% more likely than their married counterparts to be diagnosed later.
- Younger patients were 25% more likely than older individuals to experience delayed diagnosis.
- Compared with commercially insured patients, death rates from breast cancer in Medicaid and uninsured women were 40% and ~60% higher, respectively.
- This rate was nearly 40% higher in blacks vs whites, and nearly 20% higher in unmarried vs married women.
Hsu C, Wang X, Habif D, Ma C, Johnson K. Breast cancer stage variation and survival in association with insurance status and sociodemographic factors in US women 18 to 64 years old. [Published online ahead of print April 25, 2017]. Cancer. doi:10.1002/cncr.30722.
This Week's Must Reads
Durvalumab Post-Chemoradiotherapy in NSCLC Assessed, N Engl J Med; ePub 2017 Sep 8; Antonia, et al
Cochrane on Detecting CRC in Patients with IBD, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 18; Bye, Nguyen, Parker, et al
Lymph Node Removal During Endometrial Ca Surgery, Cochrane; 2017 Oct 2; Frost, Webster, et al
Cochrane on Reducing Neoplasia in Molar Pregnancy, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 11; Wang, Fu, Hu, et al
Cochrane on Reconstructing the Pancreatic Stump, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 12; Cheng, Briarava, et al
Must Reads in Practice Management
ACA Dependent Coverage Expansion Impact Assessed, Cancer; ePub 2017 Sep 22; Alvarez, Keegan, et al
Reducing Spending Under Alternative Pay Models, J Oncol Pract; ePub 2017 Oct 5; Rocque, et al
Infusion Therapy Patterns by Treatment Site Studied, J Med Econ; ePub 2017 Sep 25; Hopson, et al
This Impacts CRC Screening Rates in Some Minorities, Cancer; ePub 2017 Oct 4; Hong, Tauscher, et al
HCT Centers: Models for Specialty Medical Homes, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Sep 26; Gajewski, et al