The option to cover older children under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) has increased insurance coverage for some but not all patients with cancer, according to a retrospective, population-based analysis involving >11,000 young people. Participants ranged between 22 and 30 years of age and were hospitalized for cancer between 2006 and 2014. Investigators looked at influences linked with having private insurance, including implementation of the ACA. Among the results:
- Blacks and Hispanics were less likely than whites to have private insurance pre-ACA.
- Patients between 22 and 25 years of age were 20% more likely to have private insurance post-ACA.
- Private insurance increased among this age group from 65% pre-ACA to 69% post-ACA for those living in medium-income areas.
- It rose from 80% to 82% for those living in high-income areas.
- It increased from 73% to 86% for Asians in this younger group who lived in high-income areas.
- Private insurance decreased for all Hispanics aged 22 to 25 years between the 2 time periods.
Alvarez E, Keegan T, Johnston E, et al. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Dependent Coverage Expansion: Disparities in impact among young adult oncology patients. [Published online ahead of print September 22, 2017]. Cancer. doi:10.1002/cncr.30978.
This Week's Must Reads
Durvalumab Post-Chemoradiotherapy in NSCLC Assessed, N Engl J Med; ePub 2017 Sep 8; Antonia, et al
Cochrane on Detecting CRC in Patients with IBD, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 18; Bye, Nguyen, Parker, et al
Lymph Node Removal During Endometrial Ca Surgery, Cochrane; 2017 Oct 2; Frost, Webster, et al
Cochrane on Reducing Neoplasia in Molar Pregnancy, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 11; Wang, Fu, Hu, et al
Cochrane on Reconstructing the Pancreatic Stump, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 12; Cheng, Briarava, et al
Must Reads in Practice Management
ACA Dependent Coverage Expansion Impact Assessed, Cancer; ePub 2017 Sep 22; Alvarez, Keegan, et al
Reducing Spending Under Alternative Pay Models, J Oncol Pract; ePub 2017 Oct 5; Rocque, et al
Infusion Therapy Patterns by Treatment Site Studied, J Med Econ; ePub 2017 Sep 25; Hopson, et al
This Impacts CRC Screening Rates in Some Minorities, Cancer; ePub 2017 Oct 4; Hong, Tauscher, et al
HCT Centers: Models for Specialty Medical Homes, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Sep 26; Gajewski, et al