Uptake of the 21-gene recurrence score test in patients with node negative, hormone-receptor positive, HER2 negative breast cancer appeared to be influenced by site of care and tumor type, according to a retrospective cohort study involving 328 individuals. Investigators looked at patient and site of care characteristics, and whether these impacted receipt of the 21-gene test in newly-diagnosed participants. Among the results:
- One-fourth of patients had the 21-gene test.
- 3 in every 10 sought care at a VA center where no tests were ordered.
- Patients who received care at a VA center with women’s health services were 84% more likely to receive the test.
- Those with tumor characteristics meeting the NCCN 2010 test criteria were >3 times more likely to receive the test.
- Increasing age and fee-based care negatively predicted test uptake.
- Most tested patients received guideline-based care.
Hull L, Lynch J, Berse B, et al. Clinical impact of the 21-gene recurrence score test within the Veterans Health Administration: Utilization and receipt of guideline-concordant care. [Published online ahead of print November 29, 2017]. Clin Breast Cancer. doi:10.1016/j.clbc.2017.11.018.
This Week's Must Reads
Advanced Cancer Mortality Predictor Tested, J Oncol Pract; ePub 2017 Dec 5; Adelson, Lee, et al
Impact of Smoke-Free Laws on Lung Cancer Rates, Cancer; ePub 2017 Nov 28; Hahn, Rayens, et al
Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Treatment, J Oncol Pract; ePub 2017 Dec 1; Bickell, et al
Oncology PA Burnout, Career Satisfaction Assessed, J Oncol Pract; ePub 2017 Nov 30; Tetzlaff, et al
Improving Patient-Oncologist Shared Decisions, J Oncol Pract; ePub 2017 Nov 27; Tattersall
Must Reads in Breast Cancer
How Negative, Positive Life Events Impact BC Risk, Clin Breast Cancer; ePub 2017 Nov 1; Fischer, et al
Impact of Breast Reconstruction on Weight Change, Plast Reconstr Surg; 2017 Dec; Cho, Shammas, et al
Predicting 21-Gene Recurrence Score Test Uptake, Clin Breast Cancer; 2017 Nov 29; Hull, et al
Unilateral BC: Unilateral or Bilateral Mastectomy?, Cancer Manag Res; 2017 Nov 16; Agarwal, et al
This Can Be Used to Predict Advanced BC Prognosis, Clin Cancer Res; ePub 2017 Nov 27; Rossi, et al