Liquid biopsy can be used to predict metastatic breast cancer prognosis, according to a retrospective study involving 91 individuals. Participants had locally advanced and metastatic breast cancer. Investigators tallied circulating tumor cells (CTCs), performed plasma-based assay, and analyzed survival rates. Among the results:
- 84 patients had stage IV cancer; the remainder had no metastases.
- 80 patients had CTC analysis.
- 84% of blood samples had mutations.
- The most commonly mutated genes: TP53, PIK3CA, and ERBB2.
- 4 in every 10 patients had died by the time of analysis.
- Progression-free survival was 4.2 months for CTCs and 5.2 months for ctDNA.
- Overall survival was 18.7 and 21.5 months, respectively.
- There was a statistically significant difference in progression-free and overall survival for baseline CTCs <5 (vs ≥5); % ctDNA <0.5 (vs ≥0.5); and number of alterations (<2 vs ≥2).
Rossi G, Mu Z, Rademaker A, et al. Cell-free DNA and circulating tumor cells: Comprehensive liquid biopsy analysis in advanced breast cancer. [Published online ahead of print November 27, 2017]. Clin Cancer Res. doi:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-17-2092.
This Week's Must Reads
Advanced Cancer Mortality Predictor Tested, J Oncol Pract; ePub 2017 Dec 5; Adelson, Lee, et al
Impact of Smoke-Free Laws on Lung Cancer Rates, Cancer; ePub 2017 Nov 28; Hahn, Rayens, et al
Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Treatment, J Oncol Pract; ePub 2017 Dec 1; Bickell, et al
Oncology PA Burnout, Career Satisfaction Assessed, J Oncol Pract; ePub 2017 Nov 30; Tetzlaff, et al
Improving Patient-Oncologist Shared Decisions, J Oncol Pract; ePub 2017 Nov 27; Tattersall
Must Reads in Breast Cancer
How Negative, Positive Life Events Impact BC Risk, Clin Breast Cancer; ePub 2017 Nov 1; Fischer, et al
Impact of Breast Reconstruction on Weight Change, Plast Reconstr Surg; 2017 Dec; Cho, Shammas, et al
Predicting 21-Gene Recurrence Score Test Uptake, Clin Breast Cancer; 2017 Nov 29; Hull, et al
Unilateral BC: Unilateral or Bilateral Mastectomy?, Cancer Manag Res; 2017 Nov 16; Agarwal, et al
This Can Be Used to Predict Advanced BC Prognosis, Clin Cancer Res; ePub 2017 Nov 27; Rossi, et al