The lack of correlation between headache disability and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) pressure at baseline and at the end of the randomized phase of a recent study implies that headache in idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH) may be related to factors other than intracranial hypertension, and that specific headache treatment is needed in addition to therapies directed at lowering CSF pressure. Researchers investigated relationships between headache disability and various other clinical characteristics at baseline and at 6 months. They found:
- Headache was present in 139 (84%) of the 165 enrollees at baseline.
- Headache was common, of varied character, disabling, and associated with poorer quality of life in patients with mild visual impairment.
- The most common headache phenotypes were migraine (52%), tension-type headache (22%), probable migraine (16%), and probable tension-type headache (4%).
- 51 (37%) participants overused symptomatic medications at baseline, most frequently simple analgesics.
- Headache disability was significantly associated with patient-reported quality of life in the physical, mental, and visual domains.
Friedman DI, Quiros PA, Subramanian PS, et al. Headache in idiopathic intracranial hypertension: Findings from the idiopathic intracranial hypertension treatment trial. [Published online ahead of print July 28, 2017]. Headache. doi:10.1111/head.13153.
This Week's Must Reads
Possible Link: Hepatic Steatosis and Brain Aging, JAMA Neurol; ePub 2017 Nov 20; Weinstein, et al
Neurologic Drug Shortages May Compromise Care, Neurology; ePub 2017 Nov 15; Omorodion, et al
Sleep Fragmentation Linked with PD in Older Adults, Mov Disord; ePub 2017 Oct 30; Sohail, Yu, et al
Dietary Sodium to Potassium Ratio and Stroke Risk, Stroke; ePub 2017 Oct 10; Willey, Gardener, et al
Sleep Apnea Did Not Accelerate Kidney Decline, Sleep; ePub 2017 Nov 3; Canales, Hagen, et al
Must Reads in Headache & Migraine
Features of SAH Headache Are Distinct from Others, Headache; ePub 2017 Nov 4; Mac Grory, et al
Complementary/Alternative Drug Use for Headache, Headache; ePub 2017 Jul 25; Zhang, et al
Headache in Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension, Headache; ePub 2017 Jul 28; Friedman, Quiros, et al
Body Composition Status Linked with Migraine Risk, Neurology; ePub 2017 Apr 12; Gelaye, Sacco, et al
Expanded FDA Approval for Trokendi XR, Supernus news release; 2017 Apr 5