2 surgical options for reconstructing the pancreatic stump following pancreaticoduodenectomy offer similar results, according to a Cochrane review of 10 studies involving more than 1,600 individuals. Among the findings:
- Pancreaticogastrostomy (PG) was not superior to pancreaticojejunostomy (PJ) in overall postoperative pancreatic fistula rate, hospital duration, or the need for surgical re-intervention.
- 7 studies clearly distinguished clinically significant pancreatic fistula which required a change in the patient's management.
- PJ probably has little or no difference from PG in rates of death or complications.
- The risk of postoperative bleeding in participants undergoing PJ was slightly lower than those undergoing PG, but the risk of developing an abdominal abscess was higher.
- Information about costs was not evaluated.
Cheng Y, Briarava M, Lai M, et al. Pancreaticojejunostomy versus pancreaticogastrostomy reconstruction for the prevention of postoperative pancreatic fistula following pancreaticoduodenectomy. Cochrane Database of Syst Rev. 2017, Issue 9. Art. No.: CD012257. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD012257.pub2.
This Week's Must Reads
Cochrane on Bisphosphonates for Breast Cancer, Cochrane; 2017 Oct 30; O'Carrigan, Wong, et al
Fiber Intake and Survival After CRC Diagnosis, JAMA Oncol; ePub 2017 Nov 2; Song, Wu, et al
Selecting Patients with Advanced NSCLC for Chemo, JAMA Oncol; ePub 2017 Nov 1; Shen, Chang, et al
Predicting CV Risk in Childhood Cancer Survivors, J Clin Oncol; ePub 2017 Nov 2; Chow, Chen, et al
CD8+ Tumor-Infiltrating Lymphocytes and Ovarian Ca, JAMA Oncol; ePub 2017 Oct 12; OTTA Consortium
Must Reads in Genitourinary Cancer
Cochrane on Reconstructing the Pancreatic Stump, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 12; Cheng, Briarava, et al
Cochrane on EDMA for Bladder Cancer Treatment, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 12; Jung, Gudeloglu, et al
Cochrane on Surgical Approaches for Prostatectomy , Cochrane; 2017 Sep 12; Ilic, Evans, Allan, et al
FDA Approves First Biosimilar to Treat Cancer, FDA news release; 2017 Sep 14
Statins and Survival in Patients with Cancer, JAMA Oncol; ePub 2017 Aug 22; Emilsson, et al