Hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT) health professionals reported burnout, moral distress, and inadequate work-life balance in a cross-sectional, web-based survey involving >1,500 providers. Still, overall career satisfaction remained high. Participants included nurses, physicians, pharmacists, and social workers. They completed a web-based survey assessing burnout, emotional exhaustion, depersonalization, moral distress, work-life balance, and career satisfaction. Among the results:
- The overall prevalence of burnout was 40%, a rate that differed across disciplines.
- >One-half of pharmacists reported burnout, which was the highest rate noted.
- <One-third of social workers reported such, the lowest rate noted.
- Moral Distress Scale scores differed by discipline, ranging between 0 and 336.
- Pharmacists had the highest average moral distress score (62.9); social workers had the lowest (42.7).
- Those reporting burnout were more likely to describe inadequate work-life balance and low career satisfaction.
- Despite these findings, there was a high level of career satisfaction across disciplines overall.
Neumann J, Mau LW, Virani S, et al. Burnout, moral distress, work-life balance and career satisfaction among hematopoietic cell transplantation professionals. [Published online ahead of print November 28, 2017]. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. doi:10.1016/j.bbmt.2017.11.015.
This Week's Must Reads
Guideline on Platelet Transfusion in Ca Patients, J Clin Oncol; ePub 2017 Nov 28; Schiffer, et al
Encourage This Behavior in Childhood ALL Survivors, Cancer; ePub 2017 Dec 4; Howell, Wilson, et al
Adipokines, Swelling, & Adiposity in HCT Survivors, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Nov 29; Ketterl, et al
Prognostic Testing Patterns, CLL Outcomes Assessed, Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk; ePub 2017 Dec 5; Mato, et al
Outcomes Post-AlloSCT in DHL/DEL Lymphomas, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Nov 28; Herrera, et al
Must Reads in Practice Management
Moral Distress in HCT Professionals Evaluated, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Nov 28; Neumann, et al
Weekend vs Weekday Leukemia Admissions, Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk; ePub 2017 Aug 8; Parikh, et al
Outcomes in Multiple Myeloma Patients Evaluated , Ann Hematol; ePub 2016 Dec 2; Berenson, et al