Adding cytogenetics, thrombocytopenia, and red cell transfusion dependence as risk factors appears to improve the Dynamic International Prognostic Scoring System (DIPSS), according to a study involving 233 individuals with myelofibrosis (MF). Investigators sought to determine if the enhanced system would predict post- hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT) outcomes better than DIPSS-alone. Among the results:
- 5-year overall survival rate for patients with low/int-1 risk MF was 78%.
- Relapse and treatment-related mortality rates were 5% and 20%, respectively.
- 5-year overall survival rate in patients with high-risk MF was 35%.
- Relapse and treatment-related mortality rates were 28% and 40%, respectively.
- HCT-comorbidity index of ≥3 was linked with higher non-relapse and overall mortality, and lower relapse-free survival.
- Older patients were 3 times more likely to experience relapse.
- At a median follow-up of 8 years, ~half of patients had survived.
The authors noted that the findings may help improve the ability to advise patients about transplant timing.
Bannow B, Salit R, Storer B, et al. Hematopoietic cell transplantation for myelofibrosis: DIPSS plus risk predicts post-transplant outcomes. [Published online ahead of print September 29, 2017]. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. doi:10.1016/j.bbmt.2017.09.016.
This Week's Must Reads
Cochrane on Anticoagulants in Patients with Cancer, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 11; Akl, Kahale, Hakoum, et al
Preventing Pneumococcal Infection in Kids with SCD, Cochrane; 2017 Oct 10; Rankine-Mullings, et al
Preventing Bleeding in Patients with Hemophilia, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 25; Chai-Adisaksopha, et al
Cochrane on Growth Hormones for Thalassaemia, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 18; Ngim, Lai, Hong, et al
RIC in Patients with FL Receiving Allo-HCT, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Oct 13; Epperla, et al
Must Reads in Myelodysplastic Syndrome
Adding This to DIPSS Helps HCT Outcome Prediction, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Sep 29; Bannow, et al
Impact of Fluid Overload on HSCT Outcomes, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Aug 24; Rondón, et al
Survival in Patients with Plasma Cell Myeloma, Leuk Lymphoma; ePub 2017 Jul 21; Santiago, et al
FDA Approves Test to Detect Cancerous Cells in Blood, FDA news release; 2017 Jun 29
Value of Clinical Genomics in Myelodysplastic Syndromes, Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk; ePub 2017 Jun 16; Kharfan-Dabaja, et al