Human leukocyte antigen (HLA)-matched siblings—irrespective of sex or donor/recipient sex mismatch—are equally suitable donors for pediatric hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation (HSCT), according to a retrospective study involving 244 individuals. Participants were pediatric patients who received their first myeloablative sibling-donor HSCT between 1998 and 2012. Among the results:
- 17% of patients who survived past engraftment experienced grade II-IV acute GVHD (aGVHD).
- 14% who survived ≥100 days developed chronic GVHD (cGVHD).
- Risk of GVHD and death increased with age.
- Female donor sex and sex-mismatch did not impact aGVHD development.
- cGVHD increased when female donors were aged ≥12 years.
- No cGVHD was seen in patients aged <10 years who received a 6/6 HLA-matched marrow HSCT.
- Survival was primarily driven by diagnosis.
Friedrich P, Guerra-Garcia P, Stetson A, Duncan C, Lehmann L. Young female donors do not increase risk of GVHD or impact overall outcomes in pediatric HLA-matched sibling HSCT. [Published online ahead of print September 25, 2017]. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. doi:10.1016/j.bbmt.2017.09.014.
This Week's Must Reads
Cochrane on Anticoagulants in Patients with Cancer, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 11; Akl, Kahale, Hakoum, et al
Preventing Pneumococcal Infection in Kids with SCD, Cochrane; 2017 Oct 10; Rankine-Mullings, et al
Preventing Bleeding in Patients with Hemophilia, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 25; Chai-Adisaksopha, et al
Cochrane on Growth Hormones for Thalassaemia, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 18; Ngim, Lai, Hong, et al
RIC in Patients with FL Receiving Allo-HCT, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Oct 13; Epperla, et al
Must Reads in Cellular Therapy
What to Know About a Second-Time Donor Candidate, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Sep 25; Stoncek, et al
These Donors Equally Suitable for Pediatric HSCT, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Sep 25; Friedrich, et al
Toxicity, Survival After CD34+ Selected Allo-HCT, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Sep 22; Shah, et al
Pulmonary Function Recovery After Allogeneic HCT, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Aug 30; Srinivasan, et al
Actemra Approved for Cytokine Release Syndrome, Genentech news release; 2017 Aug 30