Patients with essential thrombocythemia (ET) who do not respond to or cannot tolerate hydroxyurea can benefit from ruxolitinib treatment, according to a small open-label phase 2 study involving 39 individuals. Participants received a median dose of 30 mg/day of ruxolitinib. Among the results:
- Treatment with a starting dose of 25 mg twice daily was linked with improved symptoms.
- 47% of patients experienced a ≥50% improvement in bone pain at week 12.
- Pruritus improved in 50%, night sweats in 75%, numbness/tingling in the fingers/toes in 65%, and weakness in 35%.
- At baseline, 62% of patients were positive for the JAK2V617F mutation.
- Minimal decrease from baseline in JAK2V617F allele burden was seen after 24 weeks of treatment.
- Allele burden was reduced with longer exposure.
- The most common nonhematologic adverse events during the first 8 weeks were weight increase, cough, diarrhea, and pyrexia.
- The most common hematologic abnormalities were anemia and leukopenia.
Verstovsek S, Passamonti F, Rambaldi A, et al. Ruxolitinib for essential thrombocythemia refractory to or intolerant of hydroxyurea: Long-term phase 2 study results. Blood. 2017;130(15):1768-1771. doi:10.1182/blood-2017-02-765032.
This Week's Must Reads
Pharmacologic Tx of Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2017 Nov 28; Wallace, et al
Risk of Obesity From Childhood into Adulthood, N Engl J Med; 2017 Nov 30; Ward, Long, et al
Labeling of Selective Androgen Receptor Modulators, JAMA; 2017 Nov 28; Van Wagoner, Eichner, et al
Oral Capsule vs Colonoscopy FMT for CDI, JAMA; 2017 Nov 28; Kao, Roach, et al
HIV Testing & Impact of Delayed Diagnosis, MMWR; 2017 Dec 1; Dailey, Hoots, et al
Must Reads in Hematologic Malignancies
Driver Mutations and Prognosis in PMF Assessed, Am J Hematol; ePub 2017 November 22; Tefferi, et al
Symptom Burden in People with MF, Thrombocytopenia, Leuk Res; 2017 Dec; Scotch, Kosiorek, et al
Consider This Method to Measure JAK2 Status in MF, Leuk Res; 2017 Dec; Strati, Benton, et al
Ruxolitinib + Azacytidine in MDS/MPNs Evaluated, Am J Hematol; ePub 2017 Nov 14; Assi, et al
Reappraising the Approach to PV and ET, Curr Opin Hematol; ePub 2017 Nov 30; Vannucchi, et al