Patients treated with proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin 9 inhibitors (PCSK9i) had higher rates of cardiovascular comorbidities and physician-determined statin intolerance, had higher low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) levels, and received more lines of therapy than non-PCSK9i patients, a new study found. 159 surveyed physicians provided treatment history, lab values, patient characteristics, and comorbidities for 1,522 treated patients (n=304 PCSK9i; n=1,218 non-PCSK9i). Researchers analyzed data from a point-in-time Adelphi dyslipidemia disease-specific program (DSP) survey in the US in 2016. They found:
- Physicians surveyed appeared to prescribe PCSK9 inhibitor medications appropriately.
- Mean (SD) baseline LDL-C levels were 180.0 ±39.7 mg/dl for PCSK9i patients and 159.2 ±40.5 mg/dl for non-PCSK9i patients.
- Prior statin use was reported in ~69% of PCSK9i patients and 19.5% of non-PSCK9i patients; statin intolerance was observed in 31.6% of PCSK9i and 5.3% of non-PCSK9i patients.
- Use of statin only was reported in 40.5% of PCSK9i and 88.8% of non-PCSK9i patients.
- The most common physician-reported reasons for change to PCSK9i were lack of efficacy (70.2%) and muscle-related symptoms.
Rane PB, Patel J, Harrison DJ, et al. Patient characteristics and real-world treatment patterns among early users of PCSK9 inhibitors. [Published online ahead of print August 28, 2017]. Am J Cardiovasc Drugs. doi:10.1007/s40256-017-0246-z.
This Week's Must Reads
AHA Statement on Noncardiac Complications in CHD, Circulation; ePub 2017 Oct 9; Lui, Saidi, et al
AHA Updates Practice Standards for ECG Monitoring, Circulation; ePub 2017 Oct 3; Sandau, et al
Intensive SBP Lowering in Patients with Low DBP, Circulation; ePub 2017 Oct 11; Beddhu, et al
BP Targets for Patients with Hypertension & CVD, Cochrane; 2017 Oct 11; Saiz, Gorricho, et al
Thoracic Extra-Coronary Calcification & Stroke Risk, Atherosclerosis; ePub 2017 Oct 7; Kianoush, et al
Must Reads in Hypercholesterolemia
LDL-C Reduction with Evolocumab & PCSK9 Inhibitors, J Am Heart Assoc; ePub 2017 Oct 2; Toth, et al
Efficacy of Evolocumab in Patients with HeFH, J Clin Lipidol; ePub 2017 Sep 22; Hovingh, et al
Patient Access to PCSK9 Inhibitor Therapy, JAMA Cardiol; ePub 2017 Sep 27; Navar, et al
LDL Pattern & Mortality After Myocardial Infarction, J Clin Lipidol; ePub 2017 Oct 3; Pokharel, et al
Increased Risk of HF and AF in Patients With FH, Atherosclerosis; 2017 Nov; Hovland, Mundal, et al