Click here to read the latest issue of ACS Surgery News.
Key clinical point: Immunizing surgical patients against seasonal influenza before they leave the hospital appears safe. Major finding: Patients...
Key clinical point: An oral appliance to advance the lower jaw reduced apneic episodes, snoring, and restless legs symptoms.
Key clinical point: Treatment factors such as neck dissection, tumor margins, type of insurance, and health care facility impact 5-year survival...
Key clinical point: More than two-thirds of patients with asymptomatic carotid stenosis are likely to have sleep apnea. Major finding: The...
Key clinical point: Lateral neck dissections for thyroid cancer are associated with high early morbidity but few long-term complications. Major...
Key clinical point: Choice of an appropriate anesthetic protocol for drug-induced sleep endoscopy must be based on a limited number of comparative...
Key clinical point: Otolaryngologists and head and neck surgeons should ensure that primary and referring providers are well educated about...
Key clinical point: Ibuprofen safely and effectively replaces morphine for children’s pain relief following tonsillectomy. Major finding: Among...
Key clinical point: Among adults with obstructive sleep apnea, glossectomy significantly improved sleep outcomes when performed as part of a multi...
Key clinical point: Patients who had intraoperative nerve monitoring were more likely to develop vocal cord paralysis. Major finding: The...
Major finding: First-line therapy for adults with obstructive sleep apnea should be CPAP or a mandibular advancement device; surgery and...
- Prehospital tourniquets in civilian settings significantly decreased mortality
- Hospital mortality for emergency bowel resection linked to failure to rescue
- Robot-assisted abdominoperineal resection outperforms open or laparoscopic surgery for rectal cancers
- MACRA Monday: Advance care plan
- Ruling: Apologies can’t be used against doctors in court
- From the Washington Office: Lessons learned from a faithful reader – A tribute to Daniel M. Caruso, MD, FACS
- Inaugural ACS Quality and Safety Conference: Achieving quality across the continuum of care
- From the Editors: Halsted, Holmes, and penguins
- The right choice? Surgery “offered” or “recommended”?
- ACS scores victory for trauma research